Monday, August 28, 2006

I Would Have Begged

Today I want to give you an insight into where you may be.  This is where I am and I am seeing things differently from yesterday.

Yesterday, I was listening to a Tony Robbins motivational tape and I had to stop and listen to the section over and over. It just hit home about what we are doing and where we are going in our business.

Basically it said, “What is most important to me? Why do I want to do it,  instead of why do I have to do it.   I love what I am doing right now.  There was a time in my life when I would have begged to have this opportunity.  The thing I am calling stress; the thing I think is so urgent,   I do not have to do it,   I want to do it.  You have gone from stress to fulfillment with one little adjustment of you attitude”

Years ago I worked for a company. I had a REAL J-O-B.  I hated it. Every Monday I complained that the weekend was too short. Every Wednesday I was glad it was “HUMP DAY” and the week was half over over hump.  Every Friday was TGIF or “Thank Goodness It’s Friday”.  I never had enough vacation and the vacations I took were too short.

All during that time I wanted a business of my own. I wanted to break out of working for someone else.  I wrote goals of being my own boss. I joined Amway in hopes of making it, but never did.  I borrow money against my house to go into a therapy business and it failed.  I borrowed more to buy and sell used test equipment and it never made a lot of money, but I still do it.  All of this while I held down that full time J-O-B. 

In 1995 I was down sized after 20 years with a company.  I tried to get a job but but could only get entry level wages.  The company I worked for was 10 years behind in its technology.  I started selling my test equipment full time. It did not make a lot of money. In fact it made so little we lost our house, car and all of our credit.

In 1998 I discovered selling on Ebay.  Ebay took us from dead broke to “affluent” in 2 months.  Ebay took us from DEAD BROKE to paying cash for $1000 in dental work in less than two months.  We got current on our “pink notice” utility bills.  The public storage units we had were almost ready to be auctioned off for non-payment of the rent. We paid those off too.

Ebay brought us a lot of good in the mean time.  We even moved from the hot inland rental place we had (the landlord doubled the rent) to the beach.  This was all because of selling used test equipment and then used computer equipment on Ebay. 

That brings us to today.   We are sitting in a warehouse of  “junk” that we are making enough to get by with, but not enough to be “affluent” again.  The big problem is our attitude about all of our old inventory. We are stagnating.

Then along comes Tony Robbins saying, “There was a time in my life when I would have begged to have this opportunity”.  WOW!  Back when I had a J-O-B, I would have died to be in this warehouse with its junk inventory. I would have loved to be “stuck” with all this obsolete stuff that is really a gold mine and a stepping off point to much bigger and better things. 

Make one little mental adjustment and your entire situation changes.  Nothing really changes except  your attitude.  Success is not what you do, it is what you think about what you are doing.  Could this week be the week we turn our business around again? Stay tuned!


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Site Feed

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?